Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How do I get started on this journey? Part 2

Like any journey you need to know where you are going and how you are going to get there.  So once I decided to homeschool, I was struck with the reality that I did not know what I was doing.  I am not the kind of mom or person, for that matter, who likes to fly by the seat of my pants.  I know that my girl needs to learn her letters, numbers and write her name…., but how do I even start?!  Sending my girl to preschool was easy, someone else was in charge, but now I am in charge, and I don’t have the first idea on how to start. 

Here I was a mom who was going to homeschool her preschooler, because I wanted to make sure I could do it for kindergarten.  I  was also the mom of a newborn.  I must be crazy!  But I was not crazy; I just needed a plan or something to help me navigate the waters that I was now in.  I started by asking my homeschooling mommas out there in the great world of the internet.  I got some suggestions, and it helped me start my search.  I also found some great homeschooling blogs that helped me feel so much better at what I was doing. 

I knew that my girl knew how to say her ABC’s and that she knew a lot of them by sight.  I also knew that my girl excelled when she could do things with her hands and create something.  I also knew that I was not good at coming up with those crafts.  My biggest hurdle was going to be in the area of writing.  My girl had lost a good amount of time in her writing abilities due to her struggle in preschool.  Somehow I was going to have to figure out how to teach writing and coloring in a way that my child would not resist picking up a crayon or a pencil. 

In my search, I came across two curriculums that I thought would work for this momma and my preschooler.  One was
The Learning Box, and the second was Mother Goose Time.  They were set up in a similar manner, but I was not sure what would be best for us.  Then I found Homeschool Reviews,and it helped greatly.  I decided to order a summer kit for Mother Goose time as well as one month of the Learning Box.   After trying both, I liked The Learning Box for my daughter, and that is where I stayed.  I Loved it!  It was great for this momma who needed a plan, and it sent me everything so I didn’t have to go running around looking for all the supplies. This was what I needed.  I found at a blog Homeschool Creations that she had blogs and print outs of what she was doing with her preschooler.  This is a great resource and helpful, but it was a little overwhelming for me who needed something that was pre-done.  So... the pre-done curriculum worked really well for me, especially for a brand new homeschooling mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment