Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Plan

I am realizing that before you buy a single homeschooling item, a plan is needed.  A goal of where you are heading needs to be thought out.  If you don’t know where you are going, how will you know what you need to buy?  A plan is needed, so you know how to reach your goal. 
This week I was talking to a mom who decided to homeschool her child after she volunteered in his kindergarten class.  This coming year, she will be sending this child and the younger sibling to public school. As I was listening to her, I realized that she did not know where she was headed or how to get there.  The result is that she is not sure if she reached her goal, and she didn't know if the homeschooled child is ready for 1st grade. 
Homeschooling is NOT easy.  However, I don’t believe that it has to be difficult either.  Homeschooling becomes difficult when we don’t know where we are going or how to get there.  Years ago, I worked with my church youth group.  The youth minister taught me that there was no reason to reinvent the wheel.  Meaning that if I researched enough, I could find curriculum for the youth that would meet our needs.  I feel the same way about homeschool.  There are tons of resources out there, and I just need to spend time to find what it is that I need in order to help me teach my child the skills she needs for her current grade level.  What I choose and what you choose will not look the same.  And that is the beauty of homeschool, we don’t have to choose the same thing for every child and parent.  But we do need to choose something.  We need a plan and the tools to help make those goals a reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment