Monday, August 1, 2011

Our Curriculum

This year I am participating in a Not Back to School Blog Hop over at Heart of the Matter.  Our first week blog link up is all to do about the curriculum materials we are using in our homeschool.  This has been a learning experience for me.  I am not sure how to put everything together but I do have a plan and materials. 
Not Back to School Blog Hop
My Father’s World
      This is the curriculum that I found at the homeschooling conference I went to back in April. One of the things that I really wanted for the kindergarten year was a all in the box curriculum.  I thought I found it when I made this purchase.  I found that in many ways that this would not be everything that I would need to accomplish the goals that I had for my girl.  But it has some great things that would help me along the way. 
  1. This has weekly lesson focus.  So for 26 weeks we will cover all our letters and sounds.  We will also have a focus.  The first week is the Sun and the second week is the moon. 
  2. This is Biblically based.  So as we are learning the letters and sounds, she will also be getting a biblical foundation.
image
Handwriting without Tears         We used this last year.  Writing was something that was a big issue for us.  My little girl resisted and refused to write because she was not doing it “right”.  Using HWT last year was a huge blessing for us and most of all it worked!  So we are going to continue on our journey and use their kindergarten workbook this year. 
image
Dianne Craft        I found Dianne Craft at the homeschooling convention.  She has made my life so much easier.  She has materials for the right brain learner.  I bought her phonics program and flash cards.  We will continue using this for kindergarten. 
image
Ready2Read        This is a resource that I just came across and I think it is my missing link.  This is very hands on and uses both phonics and sight words.  I am so excited to be starting this one.  A friend of mine blogged about this and I am so glad that she did! 
Ready2Read
Math Reasoning        This is a workbook and it seems pretty straight forward.  Along with this we are also using Cuisenaire Rods and Inchimalsimage
Little Pim Spanish        These are DVD’s that we use in 5 min segments.  I have always had a difficult time with learning languages.  So I am hoping that this is is simple to use.
image
Science         I got some hands on Science Kits to use a couple of times a week from Timberdoodle.  I am excited because I think that my little girl is going to love these activities. It also helps me not having to dream up these activities on my own.  image

7 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I'm visiting from the blog hop and really enjoy seeing what others are using. I love your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kei! We started our first day of school and she loved it! (Not that we did everything today).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Handwriting without Tears too. Hope you have a good year!!

    Thanks for telling me about the Ready 2 Read program. That looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used HWT and My Father's World Kindergarten last year. We loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I LOVE the strong biblical science that is presented in MFW and I am so glad you shared the link to Ready2Read! I think I'm going to use it as part of teaching my k-4'er to read this year! Blessings on a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Timberdoodle!! Looks great--enjoy your year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fantastic year of learning! I love the variety of choices you have for your curriculum.

    ReplyDelete