Thursday, January 12, 2012

Finished Part 1

Today was a milestone for Mickey.  She finished part 1 of her McRuffy reading material.  I would take her smiling face picture with her book but she is currently laying on the couch, SICK.  I won’t make her get up to take a picture but we will soon, I promise.
Through her first half of her reading she has learned many, many words.  She can sound out small simple words such as cat, duck, hog and dig.  She just finished learning color words such as orange, pink, black, blue, red, brown, black, green and of course her favorite, yellow!  She is able to understand what she is reading and keep the content of what she has read to be able to answer questions about the book.  Her writing and coloring has greatly improved over the last semester.  When we started out she would simply trace her name that I wrote out for her.  Now she writes her name and many other words during the day.  I am thankful that she is learning phonics and can sound out words.  I learned to read by sight reading.  I can’t tell you how difficult it has been for me to spell words.  I am hoping that the skills she is learning now will help her throughout life.  (I am even learning phonics and rules for reading and spelling that I never knew existed!  My life is forever changed for the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment