Thursday, May 10, 2012

Completed Kindergarten

My girl finished kindergarten yesterday.  Finishing and meeting a goal feels so good to both my daughter and I.  I remember back to the day when homeschooling crept into my mind and I tried to push it out with a list of reasons that just didn’t hold water.  I had a list of reasons why “I” shouldn’t homeschool her.  But as I stand her on the other side of a year completed I see that the Lord really did change my heart and how I am so thankful to be able to be able to teach her all sorts of things. 
IMG_7451
Mickey accomplished so much this year. 

  • She started the year with not a lot of skill in writing.  She has grown so  much in writing more than just her name.  I remember when she set her goal and reached the goal of writing her name well enough so she could get her library card. 
  • Her reading skills have greatly improved.  She is reading small books and now we are working on the confidence that she can really read.  Sometimes the mind plays dirty tricks on her and tells her that she really can’t read.  I love seeing her read her readers and start of struggling and then find her groove and really read it. 
  • I have learned that she loves math and science.  I always knew she loved science but this year we got to see that she really likes math. 
    • This year she learned how to count money in the form of a penny, nickel and a dime. 
    • She has learned to add and subtract and categorize things that are similar.  She can tell me which group is less than or if the groups are equal. 
    • In science we have spent the year learning about animals.  She can learn about animals all day long and never tire of of it.  This week we are waiting for our butterflies to come out of their chrysalis. 
    • She loves science experiments where she can really get hands on learning. 
I have learned a lot also. 
  • I have learned that I can indeed teach my child how to read.  This was my biggest fear when I started on this adventure. 
  • I have also learned that even though I am not the most creative gal on the block I can use my research skills and find just about any craft we want to make and find the instructions on how to do so. 
  • I have also learned that I need to take the time to plan out our days because life just goes better when I plan. 
  • I have also learned that the Lord is with me every step of the way.  I know without a doubt that HE is the one that changed my heart and then gave me the skills daily to do what HE called me to do. 
Wow!  It feels good to write down what we have accomplished this year.  What have you learned this year?  I would love to hear about it.  Post a comment below or link your post sharing what you have learned this year. 

4 comments:

  1. What great accomplishments! We're just starting on kindergarten curriculum now. Can't wait to see my daughter's progress too! Congrats on a successful year! ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindergarten is a fun year. It is so fun to watch and participate in your child's learning.

      Delete
  2. You're in the midst of such exciting times! I'm so happy for you all. O.k., what have we learned? Hmmm.....I've watched my daughter set goals in math and be determined to meet them. She has such determination, and ends up inspiring the rest of us. I've watched my son mature in his willingness to take correction when it comes to academics and also character matters. We've had a good year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are exciting times. How exciting to see your child set goals and meet them. And watching your son mature. Sounds like a great year. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete