Monday, February 4, 2013

My Favorite Time of the Day

Bedtime has quickly become my favorite time of the day.  And this is NOT because my kids will soon be sound asleep and I have a little quiet time.  We have always read to our kiddos.  I am a lover of books so I love a good story.  This year for first grade, I decided to introduce chapter books that we can read as a family.  Daddy or Momma will read as the kids settle down for bedtime. 

We started reading these novels with books like Squanto and Courage of Sarah Noble.  Mickey really got into the stories.  It also showed her how fun reading could be.  She will read but she hasn’t fallen in love with it as her momma has. 

Charlotte's WebThe next book we read was Charlotte’s Web.  I remember reading this book as a child.  It was one of my favorites.  I think that also helped the excitement to the book.  My child is a animal lover so reading a story where the lives of animals come to life.  We celebrated finishing the book with a family movie night.  It was so much fun. 

Mr. Popper's PenguinsThe next book we read was Mr. Popper’s Penguins.  This was a new book for the whole family.  It has quickly become a family favorite.  We read this book over the holidays.  We looked forward every night to read what was going to happen to Mr. Popper and those penguins.  We then watched the movie, with Jim Carrey.  This was a lesson to Mickey that sometimes while the movie was good and we enjoyed it, it was not the book.  My hubby also told me that he now understands when I say throughout the movie “but the book was better”. 

Reading before going to bed is one of my favorite times of the day.  I love that we are all enjoying a story together.  During school we will do a lapbook of some of the chapters of the books we read.  This has been a fun part and a time to see how much she was paying attention.  Tomorrow I will share with you what we are currently reading.  And what kind of activities we are doing to go along with it. 

What are your favorite books to read with your kids?  Any suggestions to add to our reading time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a lover of books too. I guess maybe most homeschool moms are. We have at least one bookshelf in every room. I have a friend who has a library in her house, and each book is catalogued!
    I thought I'd share this website with you. They have books with homeschool characters! They're books written for homeschoolers by homeschoolers. You can also find a lists of books by grades. I've found it very interesting. http://www.homeschoolliterature.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link to the site. I am going to be looking it over. Wow, your friend sounds so organized. :)

      Delete