Monday, July 1, 2013

Gearing Up for School 2013-2014

I know that we are still in the summer months but we will probably be starting the last week of July or the first week of August.  I like to get a jump on school while it is still pretty hot and we don’t want to be outside.  By then the swim lessons will be done and we are itching to get back to doing something.  We will start slow but we will start. 

Lesson Planner

I will continue to use the lesson planner from Homeschool Creations.  I love this planner for many reasons.  I like that it is a PDF and I can use it year after year.  I don’t have to print it out because I can use it on my tablet. I can back it up to my computer and have a reference back to it year after year.  I do not plan the whole year out in advance.  That would make one crazy mom.  I plan week by week however, in the back of planner I can plan out the books that I want to use. 

I am also toying with the idea of getting a planner for my daughter.  She likes knowing the plan and I like the idea of giving her the plan for the week so that she knows that she has to get done.  She thrives when she is working to meet a goal.

Tot School
PosterNate is 3.  He is not ready for a full on preschool but I think that he is ready to start doing a few things this year.  We will take our cues from him on how much we will do.  Mother Goose Time is a monthly curriculum in a box. It has all the supplies included in the box.  I like it that it takes some of the work out of it for me.  You don’t have to be committed to buy a whole year at once you can just buy month to month.  Because I don’t think that Nate is ready for a full preschool we are buying a couple of boxes and use it at our pace.  In July we bought the A to Zoo Animals.  Instead of doing a animal a day we are doing one a week.  I think that we can also include big sister and get more in-depth animal study so that they are doing the same thing.  I will be updating to let you know how this works. 

Breaks

We will plan on taking some Friday’s off and hopefully meet up with the local homeschool group.  I think that the kids will enjoy having some kid time.  I also am looking forward to taking a longer break in December and reduce this mom’s Holiday stress.  We will focus on some different unit studies so we won’t stop school all together but change the focus a bit. 

2nd Grade

I will be writing a full post on what we our 2nd grade curriculum will look like.  I am looking forward to starting the new year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment